The chicken bread roll is an appetizer dish that is made by stuffing seasoned shredded chicken filling into sliced bread, rolling it up, and then deep-frying it until golden brown and crispy. This dish is a delicious and versatile snack that is a Mediterranean and Asian fusion.
If you heard of chicken bread roll, it is kind of vague since the way how it is made varies in different cultures and cuisines from around the world. For example, different bread rolls include Cordon Bleu, Empanadas de Pollo, or Spring Rolls.
In this post, I have made a halal-friendly chicken bread roll using sliced bread which is a Mediterranean and Asian-inspired dish. This recipe can be served as a snack or appetizer where you can serve your loved ones while watching movies, at family gatherings, or during special occasions like Ramadan.
What makes it Mediterranean since I am using Italian seasoning, while the Asian side is because I am adding soy sauce for savory flavor & mayonnaise for sweetness & creaminess.
Here are the ingredients to make this delicious Chicken bread roll recipe:
Chicken: I am using a boneless chicken breast where it will be easy to shred after boiling it
Herbs & Spices: I am using Italian seasoning and paprika for the chicken. Additionally, green bell pepper and red onion will help enhance the flavor of the filling.
Cheese: I am using sliced mozzarella cheese which will add a creamy and cheesy texture to the roll.
Condiments: To add an Asian twist, I added soy sauce which will enhance the savory umami flavor of the chicken, and mayonnaise to add creaminess and flavor to the roll.
Sliced Bread: You can use either white or whole wheat sliced bread. But I prefer whole wheat since it has high in fiber.
Breading: For breading, you will need eggs, flour, and breadcrumbs.
Vegetable Oil: Lastly you need vegetable oil for deep frying the bread and of course, sautéing the chicken, onion, and other ingredients.
Step by Step Instruction
Here are the steps on how to make Chicken Bread Roll:
1. Making the Chicken Fillings
- Firstly, I placed the whole boneless chicken breast into the bowl and let it boil till it become soft.
- Once cooked, that’s when I removed it and wait till it cools down before shredding it into smaller pieces. Set it aside.
- In a separate pan, I saute the red onion and bell pepper before adding the shredded boiled chicken.
- I stir to mix gently before adding the Italian seasoning, paprika, soy sauce, and mayonnaise.
- Lastly, add the mozzarella cheese and stir to mix gently. Add salt and black pepper if needed. Set it aside.
2. Making a Roll
- To make the chicken bread roll, I first need to flatten the slice of bread using the rolling pin. After that, I remove the crusty edge of the bread on all sides.
- Add 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of chicken filling in the center and roll into a log shape. Seal it on both sides by pinching the edges of the roll of bread. You can make it up to 12 pieces of bread roll. Transfer to the plate and set it aside.
3. Coating and Deep Frying the Bread Rolls
- To coat the chicken bread rolls, you need to prepare a separate bowl of egg, flour, and breadcrumb.
- Coat it on the flour first, followed by egg and then breadcrumbs. Transfer it all to the plate and set it aside.
- Pour vegetable oil into the pan. Once hot, place the chicken rolls into the pan and let it deep fry till it turns a golden brown. Make sure all sides are fried to have an even color.
- Lastly, I transfer the plate with a paper towel below to absorb the excess oil. Let it cool down before serving.
- Serve it with ketchup mayo sauce or thousand island dressing. Enjoy!
Reheat and Freezing Storage
Reheat– To reheat the bread roll, you can deep fry it in low heat till it’s crispy or you can use an air-fryer and heat it for 5 minutes to 180 C for 5 to 10 minutes or when it’s already crispy. I will not recommend reheating it through the microwave since it makes the roll soggy.
Freezing– Once you fried the chicken bread rolls & you still have leftovers, store them in a freezer bag or airtight container. This can last in the freezer for up to 2 months. On the other hand, if stored in the refrigerator, it will only last for up to 5 days.
Note: Before you store them in the refrigerator or freezer, it is better you fry all of them first. That’s because if you don’t fry it, it will make the bread watery or soggy which will ruin the texture and causes the roll to break down.
Tips and Hints
- If you like the Middle Eastern version, you can add cumin, cardamom, turmeric, coriander, or baharat spices.
- For Asian spices, you can add ginger-garlic,
- Whole wheat bread is much thicker even if you tend to flatten it with a rolling pin. If you prefer thinner bread, use white sliced bread.
- Use a paper towel to drain the excess oil after deep frying it.
- For a healthier way of cooking, you can use an air-fryer or bake in the oven since they both use less oil. For the air-fryer, drizzle the chicken bread rolls with oil and air-fry them for 8-10 minutes at 180 C.
- For Vegan friendly, you can use tofu instead of chicken, and egg-free mayonnaise.
- You can use gouda, provolone, or cheddar cheese instead of mozzarella cheese.
- You can add ground beef, lamb, or turkey instead of chicken
- You can add mixed vegetables (green peas, carrot, and yellow corn) in the fillings to make the bread rolls nutritious.
Other dishes to try
Here are other delicious deep fry recipes that you can make at home:
???? Recipe Card
Chicken Bread Roll
Chicken bread roll is a delicious Mediterranean-Asian fusion appetizer that is a seasoned shredded chicken stuffed in bread, rolled, and deep-fried.
1 Rolling Pin
1 Deep Frying Pan
- 1 large Chicken breast, boneless
- ¾ cup Red onion, chopped
- ½ cup Green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons Mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¾ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 large Egg
- 8-12 Pieces Whole Wheat Sliced Bread
- 1-2 cup Breadcrumb
- 1-2 cup White Flour
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Salt and Black pepper for taste
Making the Chicken Fillings
Place the whole boneless chicken breast into the cooking bowl.
Turn on the heat and let it boil for 10 minutes or until it becomes soft and cooked.
Remove the chicken breast and transfer to the large cutting board. Once cool down, shred into smaller pieces using the knife. Set it aside.
In a separate pan, add vegetable oil and saute the red onion. Once the onion is translucent, add the green bell pepper and stir for a few minutes till it becomes soft.
Add the shredded boiled chicken, soy sauce, mayonnaise, Italian seasoning, and paprika. Stir to combine. Add salt and black pepper for taste. Once done, set it aside
Making a Roll
On each sliced bread, flatten it using a rolling pin. Remove the crust of the bread on all sides.
Add 1 to 1 ½ tablespoons of chicken filling in the center and roll into a log shape. Seal it on both sides by pinching the edges of the roll of bread.
Coating and Deep-frying the Roll
Prepare a 3 separate plate bowl (egg, breadcrumbs and flour).
Coat each bread roll on the flour, followed by egg, and then breadcrumbs.
Transfer on the plate and set it aside
Pour vegetable oil into the pan. Once hot, place the chicken rolls into the pan and let it deep fry for a few minutes or till it turns a golden brown. Make sure to fry on all sides.
Transfer to the plate with a paper towel below to absorb the excess oil, and let it cool down.
Serve it with ketchup mayo sauce or thousand island dressing.
- For vegan, you can use tofu instead of chicken
- Whole wheat bread are thicker than white bread. If you prefer thinner bread, use the white bread.
Serving: 6gCalories: 468kcalCarbohydrates: 51gProtein: 24.1gFat: 15.1gSaturated Fat: 4.1gCholesterol: 66mgSodium: 760mgPotassium: 128mgFiber: 4.6gCalcium: 131mgIron: 4mg